Java Virtual Petrographic Microscope
a free virtual petrographic microscope application which allows users to examine and explore minerals and rocks features
jVPM makes mineralogy to be easier to examine a thin section and to understand the characteristic properties for each mineral without a petrographic microscope, which is known to be very expensive.
It is mainly addressed to students as a guide in individual or supervised laboratory work.
See the following jVPM demo movie with most features enabled.
Works fine with:
- all Windows version: Windows 7, Windows Vista and XP
- a good internet connection: At least 14 Mb/s
- Java installed on your PC: JRE version 1.7 or later
There are a lot of features which gives the students a good understanding of practical experience for distinguishing minerals by their optical properties.
Some of the features:
- 360 degrees interactive movement of the plates;
- properties of each mineral;
- a ternary plot which is the way to classify igneous rocks;
- "Identify" function which is a logical flow chart of the minerals properties under petrographic microscope;
- entries are fully searchable.
jVPM is licensed under the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement (EULA).